Wednesday, May 30, 2012

POCCH: May 26 Session

The May 26 meeting with POCCH was our final session of the school year 2011-2012. I have missed the last 2 meetings with POCCH but on this particular I was very touched when one of the little kids were looking for “kuya William” which was me. The little boy’s name is El John, he was my favorite in there and the one I remembered the most since because in our first meeting, we played ultimate Frisbee and soccer and he was the smallest little kid out there and he played his heart out! It was so touching for me that he remembered me because out of everyone he remembered me after missing a couple of session with POCCH, this shows that I have left an impact in his memory in which I am very glad to have done. On this May 26 session, we were split into two groups: Theater and Reading. I was fortunate enough to be put into the theater group because I am a horrible reader and I wanted to do something active. Our group started off by playing little games such as “Duck Duck Goose” and “Elbow Tag”. These activities were important because it allowed us to interact with them and so the awkward barrier when people first meet can be broken down. After these games we were split into smaller groups of 8, and now that everyone was warmed up and opened up to each other, we were given a task to come up with a skit that has the same message as the childhood story we had to draw for. Our group happened to get the story “Jack and The Giant Beanstalk.” The problem was we could not come up with a conclusion to what the main message of the story was, so we moved on and did a play on “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” to convey the message of not to lie, otherwise no one will listen to you again. It was a straight forward and simple which was reasonable for the situation because people actually understood our performance unlike the others, where their skits became way too complicated. After the skits, we all ran into the waterslide. At first they were all shy to slide down slide, so I took lead and slid down pulling some of my friends with me. When the next round came, it was the kids pulling me to ride down with me. After the slides we had lunch together in the cafeteria and then we sent them on the bus for long farewell and thank you. In the end it was a hot tiring day but the sweat was definitely worth the smiles that was there that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment